🇺🇸 Retired veteran, father, rock-climbing expert & rosin connoisseur.
Looking for a different way to smoke your favorite solventless concentrates? Hash holes may be just the thing you’ve been waiting for. A clever combination of cannabis flowers and solventless extracts, hash holes deliver a new experience with a couple of old friends. It’s like hitting a joint and taking a dab at the same time. It’s the best of both worlds.
Hash holes might look like regular pre rolls from the outside, but it’s what’s inside that really makes the difference. Enclosed within a layer of flower, a hidden vein of hash or rosin runs the length of the joint. This string of solventless amplifies the pre roll experience, enhancing every pull with that sweet sweet terpy goodness. And not to mention the added strength and potency…hash holes bring that deeply therapeutic experience that dab enthusiasts seek.
Hash holes have been around for a couple years now, but they still feel like somewhat of a novelty in the industry. The widely-recognized originator is California-based Fidel Hydro, a man with a rich history in cannabis and lots of time creating and innovating in the space. The story goes that he rolled the first hash hole in Spain to showcase the ultra-premium flower and bubble hash he brought from California. And it’s been impressing people ever since.
Want to learn how to roll your own hash hole? Read on, and let’s do one together.
Things You Need To Make a Hash Hole
Fortunately, you won’t need anything out of the ordinary to roll a nice hash hole. Here’s the list of supplies:
Crutch (filter tip) - a good crutch is key. Consistent airflow throughout the hash hole helps it to burn evenly. Subpar (or lack of) filter tips prevent good airflow while smoking, which leads to irregular burning. Biokemp makes great filters, if you’re looking for a recommendation.
Rolling paper - nothing fancy, unbleached hemp papers are best.
High-quality cannabis flower - high terpene content, super-potent, and not too dry. 1.5 grams of flower is a good starting point.
Premium bubble hash or rosin - ideally, full melt bubble hash or bomb rosin. .3 grams of rosin is a nice amount to match the 1.5 grams of flower.
Cigar glue - optional adhesive to seal the edges of the rolling paper together after rolling the hash hole.
Rolling tray - optional, but nice to keep things tidy and clean.
How Do You Make a Hash Hole?
It’s not rocket science, but there is a specific technique to rolling a hash hole. It’s not as simple as smearing a glob of rosin around on some flower and throwing it into a cone. As the name implies, the hole is central to the entire operation.
1. Grind the flower as you would for rolling a regular pre roll.
2. Lay the rolling paper flat on the rolling tray and arrange a layer of flower on top of the paper. Make the layer of flower the approximate shape of the paper, rather than clumped up into a mound in the middle. Leave some space around the edges so the flower doesn’t come all the way to the outside of the paper.
3. Next, prepare the rosin “snake”. Roll the rosin in between your palms so it’s a long and skinny noodle-like shape. If you’re using hash, you can just sprinkle the hash in a thin line in the center, running lengthwise from one side to the other of the flower.
4. Place the crutch on the right side of the paper (left side if you’re left-handed) and proceed to roll the flower into the classic cylinder shape, with the rosin or hash in the very center of the joint. Begin by pinching the paper between your fingertips, then roll it back and forth to fully enclose the flower.
5. Then tuck the edge of the paper and apply cigar glue to help the paper stick to itself. If you don’t have the cigar glue it’s okay, you can just lick the adhesive that’s already on the paper.
6. Lightly tap down on the open end of the joint, but don’t compress the flower and hash too tightly. It’s important to keep the content relatively loose. Then twist the end of the paper to close, and clip away the excess. Now the hash hole is ready to smoke!
Things To Avoid?
When a hash hole is rolled right, the entire joint burns smoothly and consistently. But some things can kill your chances of getting the most from your infused pre roll.
Ripping at it too aggressively and sucking a rush of air through the hole will lead to the hash hole running, and forming the dreaded canoe shape. Taking every hit in a slow, steady, consistent draw is the right way to do it.
As the joint burns, you should notice a hole forming in the middle of the flower as the concentrate vaporizes away. This is the sign you’ve done it right!
Packing the hash hole too tightly is another mistake. Keep the flower and rosin or hash somewhat firmly packed together, but not rock solid or too dense.
There’s an in between that you may have to learn through experimentation.
Hash holes are like pre-rolls on steroids! Stacked with extra mass and ready to pack a punch, these creations can definitely add some excitement to your routine. And once you learn the technique, they’re fun to roll, too.
Your friends will always be happy when you show up with a hash hole. Or just sit back, relax, and enjoy one all to yourself. You can’t go wrong with a little flower, a little solventless, and a hole lot of fun.
Thoughts? Let us know by joining our secret Facebook group. Hang out with a community of like-minded solventless heads like yourself. Ask our head extractor questions, share your latest press and learn from hobbyists and experts in the industry.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a hash role?
A hash hole is similar to a regular cannabis pre roll, except it has a vein of hash or rosin that runs through the center of it.
What is a hash hole made of?
A hash hole is made with cannabis flower and solventless concentrates like rosin or bubble hash.
How much flower do you put in a hash hole?
1.5 grams of flower is a good amount to put into a hash hole, coupled with about .3 grams of rosin or bubble hash.
How much rosin do you put in a hash hole?
.3 grams of rosin or bubble hash is a good amount to put into a hash hole, coupled with about 1.5 grams of cannabis flower.
What is a crutch?
A crutch is another name for a filter that you put at the end of a cannabis pre roll or hash hole. A crutch is a great way to encourage ideal airflow throughout the hash hole while smoking.