🇺🇸 Retired veteran, father, rock-climbing expert & rosin connoisseur.
Frenchy Cannoli, a legendary figure among hashishins worldwide, emerged as an unparalleled hash maker renowned for his expertise and pioneering techniques. Born in France, he later adopted California as his home, where he devoted his life to mastering the art of hashish production. Frenchy's journey began as an apprentice under traditional Moroccan hashish masters, where he learned the age-old techniques of hand-rolling and sieving to extract the resinous trichomes from cannabis plants. This foundation laid the groundwork for his revolutionary contributions to the art of hash making and the broader cannabis industry.
Frenchy's relentless pursuit of excellence led him to refine and introduce modern adaptations of traditional methods, elevating the craft to new heights. One of his significant breakthroughs was the use of ice water and agitation to create full-melt, solventless hashish, a technique that garnered widespread acclaim for its purity and potency. Frenchy's dedication to education also played a pivotal role, as he traveled the globe hosting workshops and sharing his wisdom with enthusiasts and professionals alike. His emphasis on terroir, the concept that a plant's environment contributes to its flavor profile, underscored his commitment to quality and authenticity.
Frenchy Cannoli mentored and influenced numerous individuals in the art of hash making, sharing his knowledge and techniques through workshops and educational events. But he did take one special apprentice, Cherry Blossom Belle.
As his apprentice of 8 years, Cherry Blossom Belle of Heritage Hash Co. has followed in Frenchy’s footsteps. Today, she is one of the best teachers of the method Frenchy used to create Temple Balls, which involves pressing, rolling, and aging loose resin.
A Temple Ball is a traditional and artisanal form of hashish that has its origins in countries like Nepal, India, and surrounding regions. It is renowned for its quality, potency, and distinct method of production. The name "Temple Ball" is believed to be derived from the practice of pressing and shaping the hashish into a ball-like form, often used for ceremonial and spiritual purposes in temples.
To create a Temple Ball, hash makers first work with high-quality cannabis plants, using the process of Ice Water Extraction to separate the resin glands from the plant material. The collected resin is carefully hand-pressed using a heated glass bottle, then hand-rolled into a ball. The resulting Temple Ball is dense and concentrated, with a deep and complex flavor profile.
Let’s take a look at the tools and supplies hash makers use to create Temple Balls, and the step by step process for creating these legendary cannabis concentrates.
List of Tools / Supplies:
- Bubble Hash (5 or 6-star)
- 2 Hot Round Glass Bottles (like a liquor or wine bottle that will withstand 190F-220 F)
- Slow Cooker (to keep bottle warm) Turkey Oven Bags (Buddy Bags is a good brand)
- Oven Mitt/Towels
- Small Mason Jar
How To Make Frenchy-Style Temple Balls
1. Gather 1-2 oz (28 – 56g) of loose resin, which provides enough material to easily work with. As you develop a feel for making Temple Balls, you can increase the amount.
2. Cut the turkey oven bag in half. If you’re working with an ounce or less, cutting the bag in half again is helpful. Having lots of extra plastic flapping around throughout the process isn’t helpful.
3. With gloves on your hands, work the bubble hash into a ball by rolling it between your palms.
4. Boil water in a large pot, then fill the slowcooker and bottles with the boiling water. Set the slow cooker on high. When you’re not using the bottles during the pressing process, keep them in the slow cooker. Also, always keep one bottle in the slow cooker while you’re using the other one, so that you can switch them out to constantly be working with a hot one.
5. Place the ball of loose resin into the center of your piece of turkey bag, then fold the plastic over the hash. Using over mitts to protect your hands, grip either end of the bottle and roll the bottle over the hash while gently applying pressure. Alternate between the two bottles as one begins to cool down.
6. You will notice some of the heads begin to melt and appear wet and sticky against the turkey bag. This means it’s working! The trichome heads are breaking open, releasing the oily resin inside.
7. Flip the hash pancake over frequently, working it on both sides, gently rolling back and forth. Use finesse. You don’t need a lot of pressure, but a tender firmness will do. Use your natural upper body weight as you press down, no need to exert additional force through your arms. Some high-quality resin will start to melt with just the heat of the bottle, even before you apply additional pressure.
8. The loose resin pancake will begin to darken in certain pockets, taking on a mottled appearance. Keep rolling and flipping the resin until it begins to darken uniformly. It should take on a darker color throughout. You’ll start to notice the hash seeming to melt around the outer edges. This is a good sign.
9. Once the patty has flattened out, open the plastic and fold the hash patty over itself a few times to form a thick brick or bar. Then repeating the same process, roll out again. There is a feel for this process that you’ll develop over time. Experience is the best teacher. Don’t stress about loose resin sticking to the plastic. The smaller pieces of hash will always get rolled up again with the larger ball of hash.
10. Repeat this process at least 3-4 times, rolling the patty flat, then folding it over itself into a thick bar, then pressing/rolling it flat again. Sometimes, 10-20 rounds is necessary to get the homogenization we’re aiming for.
11. Continue working the hash, and remember to keep switching out the cooler bottle for the hot one in waiting, so you’re always working with a hot bottle.
12. It can be more difficult to get lesser-quality loose resin to fuse together. In this case, a good trick is to place the turkey bag-wrapped hash inside a plastic ziplock bag, then submerge that into the slow cooker. This extra heat can sometimes be enough to coax the heads into melting together. If you use this approach, be sure not to let the hash remain submerged for more than 15-30 seconds at a time.
13. When the color of the hash gets very consistent throughout, there are no more streaks of dark/light resin, it’s almost ready. This nice and smooth color balance is the sign of success. It’s time to start forming the Temple Ball.
14. Remove the hash patty and place it between your gloved palms. Roll it back and forth, around and around to form a smooth, round ball. Continue until you’ve got a perfect sphere.
15. Premium-quality hash will not remain in a sphere when placed on a flat surface. Naturally it will spread out into a flatter, bulbous form. This is a sign of success!
16. Now onto the curing phase. This is where the magic happens. Curing is when the transformation takes place, during which time loose resin becomes a true Temple Ball.
17. Cut a small square of the turkey bag. You can also use a plant-based cellophane, just be sure it’s food safe. Tightly wrap the hash ball in the bag to prevent oxygen exposure, twisting the excess material into a long strand. Wrap that strand around the ball, then use a piece of tape to seal the bag closed.
18. Place the wrapped Temple Ball into a small sealed mason jar and leave to cure in a cool, dry, dark room for at least 3-6 months. That is the bare minimum. It’s best to leave it to cure for several years. The compounds within the hash will interact and the hash will transform over time. Natural chemical reactions create mind blowing changes within the hash. New terpenes will emerge. It’s a process that’s been observed by hashishins for ages, but scientific data is lagging.
Check out this amazing video with Cherry Blossom Belle, where she demonstrates the process:
Frenchy Cannoli's legacy endures as an inspirational force, forever altering the landscape of hashish production and earning him a hallowed place in the annals of cannabis history. Among his many contributions, introducing the art of crafting Temple Balls to a wide range of cannabis enthusiasts may be his most enduring.
Temple balls give hash makers a way to store and preserve precious trichome heads for the long-term. While they may not be as widely available as other forms of hashish, they hold a special place in the history and culture of cannabis extraction. Crafting Temple Balls is a great skill to possess, and will ensure you always have access to a truly premium cannabis products.
It’s incredible to witness the transformation of loose resin into fine hashish in the form of a Temple Ball. Sometimes, the hardest part is the waiting game! Time is the factor, and giving your Temple Ball years to properly cure can reveal something spectacular.
Thoughts? Let us know by joining our secret Facebook group. Hang out with a community of like-minded solventless heads like yourself. Ask our head extractor questions, share your latest press and learn from hobbyists and experts in the industry.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who is Frenchy Cannoli and what is he renowned for in the world of hashish?
Frenchy Cannoli is a legendary hash maker known for his expertise and pioneering techniques in hashish production. He was born in France and later made California his home, where he became a master of the craft. Frenchy began as an apprentice to traditional Moroccan hashish masters and later introduced modern adaptations, including the use of ice water and agitation to create high-quality hashish.
What is the significance of Temple Balls in the realm of hashish production?
Temple Balls are a traditional and artisanal form of hashish originating from countries like Nepal and India. They are highly regarded for their quality, potency, and unique production method. The name "Temple Ball" comes from the practice of shaping hashish into a ball-like form, often used for ceremonial purposes. This method involves working with high-quality cannabis plants, using ice water extraction to separate resin glands, and then hand-pressing and rolling the collected resin into dense and concentrated balls.
How does Cherry Blossom Belle contribute to Frenchy Cannoli's legacy?
Cherry Blossom Belle, an apprentice of Frenchy Cannoli for 8 years, carries on his legacy by teaching his methods for creating Temple Balls. She is associated with Heritage Hash Co. and has become an adept teacher of the techniques involved in pressing, rolling, and aging loose resin to create these legendary cannabis concentrates.
What is the process of creating Frenchy-style Temple Balls?
To create Temple Balls, start by gathering 1-2 oz of loose resin and rolling it into a ball. Use heated glass bottles and a slow cooker to maintain a warm environment during the pressing and rolling process. Place the resin in a turkey bag, roll it gently with pressure from heated bottles, and flip it over to achieve even heating and darkening. Repeat the rolling and folding process multiple times to ensure homogenization. When the hash achieves a consistent color, it's ready to be formed into a spherical shape by hand. The Temple Ball is then wrapped tightly in a food-safe material and left to cure for at least 3-6 months, although several years of curing can lead to remarkable transformations.
What role did Frenchy Cannoli play in advancing hashish production?
Frenchy Cannoli's contributions to hashish production were transformative. He refined traditional techniques and introduced innovative methods, such as ice water extraction, which led to the creation of potent, solventless hashish. Frenchy's dedication to education through workshops and emphasis on terroir highlighted his commitment to quality and authenticity. His legacy continues through his teachings and apprentices like Cherry Blossom Belle, ensuring that his expertise and techniques endure in the cannabis industry.